Since June, sow cullings have increased consistently and slaughtering this week totalled 5,400 head. This was around 760 (16%) more than a year earlier.
As far as prices are concerned, for the week ended 27 October, the EU-spec DAPP reached 158.79p per kg. This was 0.8p more than a week earlier and nearly 13p higher compared with the same week last year. This now means that the DAPP has continued to move upwards for two months.
Click here for more market information.
Strategic de-stocking guidance
BPEX has published outline guidance on strategic de-stocking and reviewing slaughter weight decisions for producers who for financial or other reasons are contemplating the decision to cease production. Click here to read the factsheet.
- Be tempted to scrimp on feed quantity or quality
- Cut back on vaccination programmes to save cost
- Keep pigs back and cause stocking density problems or shortage of feed/drinker space
- Stop buying gilts in
- Keep the culling rate up to maintain an efficient herd
- Consider reducing slaughter weight to reduce cost of production through enhanced feed conversion ratio
- Speak to your nutritionist to ensure optimal diet specifications and feeding strategies
- Consider bulk buying feed to reduce load costs
- Consider feeding co-products BUT speak to a nutritionist first
- Look for wastage areas – are hoppers/feeders set correctly to reduce feed loss through the slats
- Check feed storage – are bags being left where rodents can access it?
- Clean feed bins to avoid mould and the feed becoming unusable
- Use our simple feed cost calculator and guide
The Addington Fund provides homes for farming families needing to leave the industry and emergency grants in times of hardship.
Telephone: 01926 620135.
Farm Crisis Network
FCN provides pastoral and practical support to farming people during periods of anxiety and stress.
FCN Helpline: 0845 367 9990
If there is something you’d like in this section that isn’t there, please contact Andrew Knowles.
For more information and advice please contact our KT Managers by clicking here.